Friday, January 29, 2010

Top 5 iPhone/iPod Touch Games

This is a run-down of my five favourite App games. I'm almost positive that there are games out there that should be in this list; however, I have not exhaustively trawled the App Store and so do not know about them. Having said that, I do make sure that I frequently keep up to date with the latest news from the App Store on a number of dedicated sites. The list is as follows....

NUMBER FIVE:

Word with Friends - Free/AU$3.99

I have only recently discovered this popular game. It is almost identical to the boardgame Scrabble and provides just as much fun. I considered purchasing EA's official Scrabble game, however claims that the Scrabble AI tended the cheat combined with praise for WwF meant I went with the latter. While you cannot play against an AI opponent in this game, there is the option for a 2-player/1-iPhone game type. This means that you can compete against yourself...with yourself. The greatest thing about WwF is the online multiplayer. You can easily make an online profile and begin challenging your friends to a match. Facebook and Twitter friends can be challenged through the respective chat portals, while you can also simply challenge anyone as long as you know their username.

This game has become very popular with my girlfriend and I. Originally it felt slightly stagnant as we would have to wait for each other to take their turns (despite the fact that the game is very quick to update your opponents movements). This, however, was quickly surmounted by opening three seperate games together. This, added with the me vs. me game I usually play, means that I can almost continually be playing this game. Honestly, there is very little I could fault this game for. It surely wouldn't be the price, as FREE is pretty generous. It should be noted that the Free version does contain ads that must be clicked away between every turn. However this is not intrusive and only the most impatient of players would truly have a problem with this. While there is a non-ad version for AU$3.99, there is little use in purchasing the more expensive version.


The interface is very easy to use. The main page lists games in which it is your turn to play a word; games where it is your opponents turn; and games that have recently concluded. To zoom down onto a smaller portion of the board, you only need to double tap. Otherwise, the overview board view is good for finding the most recently played word (marked with a star).

Anyone who has any interest in word games will have a blast playing Words with Friends. After only a few days of playing it, it has made its way on to my Top Five games for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment