Saturday, January 30, 2010

1 out of 2 so soon isn't bad eh?

After finishing my previous post regarding my new thoughts on the Apple iPad, I came across an article that instantly grabbed my attention.Yesterday, AppleInsider posted video footage of a conversation between Walt Mossberg of The Wall Street Journal and Steve Jobs soon after the announcement of Apple's newest device. Mossberg's questioning of Jobs yielded some interesting facts. They are as follows:
-The iPad will be able to play over 100 hours of music before needing a recharge.

-The eBooks offered through iTunes will cost the same as those offered by Amazone for the Kindle.

-The iPad-compatible version of Pages (part of the iWork suite) will be able to save files in a Microsoft Word format!!!!!

A more in-depth rundown of the conversation, in addition to the video itself, is available here: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/29/steve_jobs_ipad_to_offer_word_support_10_ebooks_6_days_of_music.html

This last piece of news is fantastic for me personally. I am much more likely to purchase the iPad now, knowing that I will be able to word process at uni and then convert the file to a Word document for later editing and printing.

After I discovered this glorious fact, I researched the level of compatibility between Word and Pages documents. The 2008 Edition of iWork (I couldn't find confirmation of a more recent version), at least, allowed users to import both Microsoft Office 2007 and 2004 documents. It was also noted that this 2008 Edition only saved Microsoft Word files in the older .doc format, and not in the newer .docx format. While I understand that things might have changed since then, and possibly could change again with the advent of the iPad's iWork suite, I feel much better knowing that at least the later Microsoft Word file formats will be able to be used with the iPad's native word-processing software.

Come on Jobs, give me some multiprocessing news and be 2 for 2! For my sake and for yours. You can't advertise the iPad as a netbook killer unless it has the balls (read: multiprocessor) to kill a netbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment